April is Stress Awareness Month
Most of us experience STRESS in our lifes. If we are never stressed our bodies may not know how to detect danger. However when we are in constant stress our bodies never get to rest. What do you think causes your stress? Is it work, family, special events, relationships, friendships, personal trauma or loss, finances and/or anxiety, worry or fear beliefs/thoughts.
Are these really the causes of your stress or just the situations, persons, events, habits, beliefs or patterns that trigger your stress reaction? Ask yourself…Who is responsible for my Stress? Once you have that answer ask yourself what is the “root” cause of my Stress? Do you have a choice of whether or not you experience Stress? Of course you do. Once you begin to understand this, then you are on the road to peace and calm. Two things you need to stay on that road are intent and awareness and as you travel that road you need willingness.
At Sacred Garden we recommend our Star Energy Tool, the 5 Wisdom Wheels, a tool that is the foundation of awareness, intent and willingness. Using this tool will help you learn and grow and develop your own personal Stress coping mechanisms.
Remember: You can’t change anyone else, you can only change yourself and how you respond to people, situations and events. You can begin to make that change in yourself by learning to stay in the present moment and not to fret about the past or worry about the future. As you stay in the present moment you will become more aware of how you interact, interface with the world around you.
- Hum along to music or just hum
- Chant: Om Namah Shivaya, Om Ni Ra or just chant your name
- Sit quietly, eyes closed and Follow your Breath: I Breathe In, I Breathe Out
- Sit quietly, eyes closed, breathe in say “I Am” breathe out say “Calm”
- Let the anxiety and worry just flow through you like a river, don’t resist it, thank it for coming. Allow a gold-white light to flow through you and fill you with love and light.
- Find a place in nature, sit quietly, become aware of the sounds around you, let them fill your body, mind and spirit, connect with nature, ask Mother Earth to ground you.
- Eat mindfully: prepare a meal being aware of every step, sit and eat it slowly one bite at a time taste each morsel and really enjoy your food.
- Turn off the TV, cell phones, computers etc. Sit in silence or play some quiet soothing music. Just let yourself rest. Say to yourself: “I am open willing and worthy of receiving peace and calm in my life.”
- Go for a walk or a run
- Relax each part of your body starting with your feet and ending with your head…you will probably fall asleep you will feel so relaxed.
- Play an instrument
- Draw or doodle
- Play with a child, a dog or cat… they are good at being in the moment
- Laugh…read a funny book or watch a funny movie, investigate Laughter Yoga
These calming tips keep you in the flow, in the present moment. Do each one for a day or a week and see what works for you. Remember, no judgement. Just be.
For more information about Tools and Tips for Coping with Stress Workshops/Events at Sacred Garden contact us.